Med-Surg Staff RN Job Opening
Med-Surg Staff RN
Medical Center Barbour• Eufaula, Alabama
POSITION PURPOSE (Summary)
The RN Staff Nurse, under supervision of the Unit Director/Charge Nurse is responsible for the nursing care of patients assigned to him/her and directs others in patient care. Delivers care based on patient needs appropriate for the infant, pediatric, adolescent, adult or geriatric patient. Demonstrates an interest in patient centered approach to total nursing care. Instructs LPN’s and PCA’s. Demonstrates cooperation, flexibility, and resourcefulness when dealing with patients, visitors, physicians, and hospital personnel. Utilizes the six steps of Nursing Process which includes: Assessment, Nursing Diagnosis, Identification of patient outcomes, planning, implementation and evaluation.
Education: Graduate of an approved school of nursing.
- Desirable characteristic includes at least one year medical/surgical experience.
- May begin at entry level.
- Successfully completes orientation to the medical/surgical unit.
- Current Alabama License.
- Current BLS certification.
- ACLS preferred but not required.
- Utilizes the Nursing Process to formulate the patient’s plan of care. Uses a Nursing database to obtain a patient history. Completes full psychosocial/Physiological Nursing assessment on all newly admitted patients. Identifies and prioritizes patient care problems. Identifies, documents, and implements nursing orders appropriate to patient care problems. Generates and documents the appropriate nursing diagnosis for patient care problems identified. Evaluates and documents the effectiveness of nursing care provided and revises plan as needed. Uses sound judgment in selecting the course of action in implementing physician orders and interpreting their appropriateness to the patient’s present condition.
- Administers many complex medications (including blood and blood products) by any route as ordered within the guidelines of nursing practice. The routes include: oral, sub-lingual, IM, SQ, topical, rectal, nasogastric, respiratory and IV. Has knowledge of adverse effects and precautions and can assist with re-medial measures as necessary.
- Applies in-depth knowledge of a large number of lab and other diagnostic studies. Interprets findings and reports to the physician those findings which indicate a detrimental variation in the progress of the patient. Executes follow-up to physician orders. After re-evaluating the patient’s condition, plans, directs and/or implements comprehensive nursing care utilizing scientific and professional principles as the basis for all techniques and procedures performed.
- Teaches patient and family members about disease processes, pre and post-operative care. Pre and post diagnostic procedures, equipment and treatment related to care expected and possible adverse reactions to mediation and health promotion. Initiates discharge planning/teaching upon admission of each patient.
- Orients and provides on-job training for new personnel professional students and volunteers through formal and informal instruction.
- Attends all hospital and department mandatory educational programs.
- Instruct LPN’s, PCA’s, and Unit Clerks.
- Performs other job related duties as assigned.
VISUAL AND HEARING REQUIREMENTS
- Must be able to see with corrective eye wear
- Must be able to hear clearly with assistance.