Certified Veterinary Technician Job Opening
Certified Veterinary Technician
Oates Veterinary Clinic• Kenton, Ohio
Oates Veterinary Clinic is looking to add a Veterinary Technician to our team!
In operation since 1971, Oates Veterinary Clinic, Inc. welcomes both emergency cases as well as patients in need of routine medical, surgical, and dental care. Beyond medical care, our goal is to also make our clinic as comfortable, pet-friendly, family-friendly, and calm as possible. We also offer a full service boarding and grooming facility.
Veterinary Technician Job Description
The veterinary technician is the primary support to the doctors and patients. The veterinary technician must be able to pay attention to detail, respond quickly and calmly to crises, and maintain very high standards of patient care. The veterinary technician must be able to communicate well with clients and team members; showing care and concern for their pets. This position reports to the hospital manager.
- Flexible Schedules
- Great Benefits & PTO Plan
- Leadership and Development
- Great location and much much more!
Veterinary Technician Job Duties:
- Assist doctors in restraint and treatment of patients
- Enter doctor/technician services into the computer and patient record
- Fill prescriptions and prepare medications as prescribed by the veterinarian
- Perform routine laboratory analyses including hematology, serology, blood chemistry, urinalysis, fecal analysis, and skin scrapings
- Give treatment/injections/medications in accordance with doctor’s orders
- Place/maintain i.v./urinary catheters
- Monitor critical patients, follow and complete treatments as listed on the whiteboard
- Collect blood for internal and external laboratory analysis, and prepare corresponding paperwork
- Maintain pharmacy, laboratory, radiology inventory, and surgery logs daily
- Administer oral drugs, injections, wound dressings, and fluid therapy as directed by the DVM
- Administer and monitor anesthesia in accordance with state regulations and AAHA standards
- Perform routine dental cleanings in accordance to state regulations and AAHA standards
- Perform sterile surgical preparation of surgery sites according to AAHA standards
- Assist in surgery, including gowning surgeon, patient monitoring, suture selection, etc.
- Maintain lab and surgical supplies and equipment including autoclaved items, surgery packs, ultrasound equipment, anesthesia machines, centrifuge, and microscope according to hospital protocol
- Clean/sanitize surgery areas, treatment, laboratory, kennel, and exam rooms daily
- Take/export radiographs (dental and digital) including proper submission to telemedicine or outside specialists
- Perform/submit ECG readings
- Perform emergency procedures including: control bleeding, administer parenteral fluids and pharmacological agents under veterinary supervision, resuscitate with oxygen, establish open airway breathing by intubation, perform external cardiac massage, apply temporary bandages or splints, provide external supportive treatment or wounds, burns, and heat exhaustion.
- Provide client education regarding nutrition, parasite control, vaccination protocols, spaying and neutering, behavior/fear free and all other routine procedures
- Counsel clients regarding home care, medication administration, and post-operative cases
- Assist with inventory control and product ordering
- Assist receptionists as needed
- Perform tasks assigned to the veterinary assistants and kennel staff as needed
Must be able to lift 50 pounds and remain standing for long periods of time as needed to maintain desk operation.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of the company to afford equal opportunities to all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, non-disqualifying disability or status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran.
Job Type: Full-time
- Veterinary Technician: 1 year (Preferred)
- Veterinary Technician (Preferred)