Nurse/Clinical Nurse (Advanced Practice Registered Nurse Practitioner/Psychiatric) Job Opening
Nurse/Clinical Nurse (Advanced Practice Registered Nurse Practitioner/Psychiatric)
US Department of the Army• Fort Richardson, Alaska
- Providing advanced comprehensive psychiatric nursing care for a variety of behavioral health patients.
- Performing intake procedures for psychiatric patients.
- Collaborating with the patient's total treatment team in order to formulate a total treatment plan.
- Performing psychiatric patient observations in order to identify any significant behavior and reaction patterns.
- Prescribing medications to psychiatric patients seeking behavioral health services.
Job family (Series)
- Nurse Practitioners
- Nurses, Psychiatric
- Practitioners, Nurse
- Psychiatric Nurses
Conditions of Employment
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- This position may have specific initial background investigation and periodic re-verification requirements since its duties require interaction with children and youth under the age of eighteen (18) years of age on a recurring basis.
- Position may be designated as Inclement Weather Essential. The incumbent must make every attempt to report for work on time and/or remain on duty during severe weather conditions.
- A pre-placement medical examination may be required.
- Applicants must be able to fulfill credentialing requirements and obtain and maintain appropriate/relevant clinical privileges.
- Selectees will be required to sign a statement (Condition of Employment) consenting to seasonal influenza vaccinations or must provide a recognized exemption.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification through American Heart Association (AHA) or American Red Cross. Certifying organization varies on location. Advanced certification (e.g., ALS) does not supersede BLS.
- Immunization screening is required. Hepatitis B immunization is required for all positions with direct patient contact. Applicants may be required to show proof of other immunizations depending on the type of position.
- This position is a Testing Designated Position subject to applicant testing and random drug testing. Selectees will be required to sign DA Form 5019 requiring participation in random drug urinalysis testing.
- Position may require employee to wear a uniform and/or protective clothing.
- Moderate to heavy lifting may be required.
- Position may be designated as Emergency Essential.
- This may be an obligated position.
- Work schedule may require shift work or rotating shifts (evenings, weekends and holiday).
- Permanent positions: Two year probationary period may be required.
- Term positions: One year trial period may be required.
- Additional requirements may be determined as positions arise and will be communicated during the hiring process if you are selected.
QualificationsWho May Apply: US Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Basic Requirement for Nurse/Clinical Nurse (Advanced Practice Registered Nurse Practitioner/Psychiatric):
Degree: A graduate or higher level degree, bachelor's degree, associate degree, or diploma from an accredited professional nursing educational program is required. This education must have been accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs, Accreditation Commission for Midwifery Education, or an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education at the time the degree was obtained.
Degree for Advanced Practice Registered Nurse Positions: A graduate or higher level degree in nursing from an accredited educational program in the area of Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner.
Degree from Foreign Nursing School: Official certification from the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools is required for individuals who graduated from foreign nursing schools.
Licensure: Applicants must have passed the National Council Licensure Examination and possess a current, active, full, and unrestricted license or registration as a professional nurse from a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
Additional License Requirements for Advanced Practice Nurse Positions: Applicants for Advanced Practice Nurse positions must be licensed or registered by a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States as a Psychiatric/Mental Health Nurse Practitioner.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
Experience GS-12: At least one full year of professional nursing experience equivalent to the next lower grade level (GS-11). Professional Nursing Experience is defined as: diagnosing psychiatric illnesses and prescribing medications.
Experience GS-13: At least one full year of professional nursing experience equivalent to the next lower grade level (GS-12). Professional Nursing Experience is defined as: diagnosing psychiatric illnesses, prescribing medications and recording significant behavior or reaction patterns.
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone-no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
See the Qualification Section for education requirements.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- This is a Direct Hire Solicitation.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 53 position.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- When you perform a Civilian Permanent Change of Station (PCS) with the government, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) considers the majority of your entitlements to be taxable. Visit https://www.gsa.gov/cdnstatic/FTR%20Bulletin%2018_05%20Relocation%20Allowances_0.pdf for more information.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
- Permanent Change of Station (PCS) allowances may be authorized, subject to the provisions of the Joint Travel Regulations and an agency determination that a PCS move is in the Government Interest.
- Permanent, term, part-time, intermittent or temporary positions may be filled from this solicitation. Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is temporary, full-time, part-time, or intermittent.
- Term positions: A term position is time-limited and may be extended to a maximum of eight years.
- Temporary Positions: A temporary position is time limited and may be extended in one year increments to a maximum of three years and may be terminated at any time during the duration of the appointment.
- Intermittent Positions: Intermittent positions do not provide guaranteed work hours each week, and work will be assigned on an intermittent "as needed basis." Intermittent positions will NOT lead to a full-time position. Intermittent employees are NOT eligible for benefits (Health and Life Insurance) (Annual and Sick Leave).
- Positions listed with multiple grades may be filled at any grade level and will not have promotion potential.
- Federal employees in Hawaii are currently entitled to receive a 10.99% Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) in addition to the base salary. This is subject to change.
- Federal employees in Alaska are currently entitled to receive a 3.74% Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) in addition to the base salary. This is subject to change.
- This position may transfer to the Defense Health Agency (DHA) no later than 30 Sept 2021 in accordance with the provisions of Section 702 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2017, Public Law 114-328. The Act directed the DHA to take responsibility for the administration (i.e., authority, direction, and control) of military treatment facilities beginning 1 Oct 18. Employees will become DoD employees upon transfer to the DHA.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria; (2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 90 or above; and, (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website https ://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
The documents you are required to submit vary based on whether or not you are eligible for preference in federal employment. A complete description of preference categories and the associated required documents is in the Applicant Checklist (External) .
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as incomplete and you may not receive consideration for this position.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume .
- Cover Letter, optional
- Most recent Performance Appraisal, if applicable
- This position has an individual occupational requirement based on education. You MUST submit a copy of your transcript with your application package or you may be rated ineligible. See: Transcripts and Licenses .
- License/Certification: This position has a license/certification requirement, you MUST submit a copy of your current, active, valid, unrestricted license/certification. See: Transcripts and Licenses .
NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person's personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
Review our benefits
About the Position:
A recruitment or relocation bonus may be authorized.
Salary negotiation may be available for those candidates who are new to Federal service.
Student Loan repayment may be authorized.
The initial cut-off date for referral consideration is 5 days from the opening date of the announcement. Applicants applying by the initial cut off will receive first consideration. Applicants received after this date will be given referral consideration as vacancies occur.
Occasional travel - Business Travel may be required.