Associate Chief of Staff Geriatrics & Extended Care Service (Physician) Job Opening
Associate Chief of Staff Geriatrics & Extended Care Service (Physician)
US Department of Veterans Affairs• Tuscaloosa, Alabama
- Working with the Associate Chief Nurse, Geriatrics; Chief, Social Work Service, and subordinate supervisors, managers and team leaders in the service line to achieve and maintain high standards of performance. The incumbent may delegate authority to subordinate supervisors and hold them responsible for the performance of their specific units. In this regard, the incumbent is administratively responsible for all subordinate supervisors and managers and is the approving official of all goals, policies and procedures established by each.
- Participating in organizational planning to include strategic, operational, programmatic and other plans and policies to achieve the mission and vision of the Medical Center.
- Participating in the development of long and short-term goals for the Service Line and the organization.
- Functioning as a collaborating provider for Advance Practice Nurses/Nurse Practitioners, Physicians Assistants, Clinical Pharmacy Specialist, as needed.
Job family (Series)
0602 Medical Officer
- Physicians, All Other
Conditions of Employment
- United States Citizenship Required; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
QualificationsTo qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 06/07/2019.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
The ideal candidate will possess the following characteristics and attributes:
Administrative and clinical experience
Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
Proven leadership skills
Embraces and initiates new treatment programs and technologies
Effective management and operations experience
Board certification Has a vision for the future Advocates for clinical research Interested in the pursuit of excellence
Experience in physician recruitment and retention
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements: In Accordance With VA Directive and Handbook 5019.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/ . If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html .
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice: VHA physician brochure .
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of 26 days per leave year (1 day per pay period).
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Your application, résumé, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
NOTE: A formal pay-setting process will be used to determine your salary. The salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes (upload C.V. as resume document type):
- If currently employed in the VA system, include latest SF-50 - Notification of Personnel Action.
- Application-VA Form 10-2850 - Application for Physicians, Dentists, Podiatrists, Optometrists & Chiropractors can be found at: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=2850&tkey=&Action=Search .
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, etc.
- Cover Letter
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits .
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
The Associate Chief of Staff (ACOS) for Geriatrics and Extended Care (GEC) Service Line is responsible for the overall leadership of the service line and ensures the quality of medical and mental health services provided, the education and training of professional staff, and the safety and ethical conduct of medical research conducted on patients assigned to the service. The incumbent is a physician. The incumbent provides overall guidance and supervision to staff in his/her service.
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday (Day tour with expectation of some extended hours)
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Note 1 : Reimbursement for travel and relocation expenses are authorized.
Note 2: Recruitment or relocation incentive may be authorized for highly qualified candidate. (subject to eligibility and approval) .
Note 3: Once appointed, if you meet all established criteria, you may be eligible to apply for partial student loan reimbursement under the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP), subject to available funding. You will be required to make contact with the Program Coordinator in Human Resources within 30 days of your appointment date to confirm your eligibility and initiate application paperwork.
Note 4: Physician is required to be a collaborating physician for one or more mid-level providers upon request.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.