Assistant Detention Manager Job Opening
Assistant Detention Manager
Shelby County, AL• Columbiana, Alabama
The primary function of this position is to assist with the management of the Juvenile Detention Facility and assist the Detention Manger in the overall day to day operations of the Juvenile Detention Facility. Duties will include but are not limited to, supervision of the Shift Supervisors, problem solving with detainees, staff and various other departments, serve as the compliance and standards official for the Department of Youth Services (DYS), and various management duties including maintaining vendor accounts and payroll records. The position will assist with PREA standards and the Child Nutrition Program. The Assistant Manager schedule, in direct coordination with the Manager's schedule, will be developed to cover an array of hours each calendar week ranging with overlap coverage with the three shifts (7-3, 3-11 and 11-7) with some weekend hours.
- Bachelor's Degree in education, social work, counseling, criminal justice, psychology, human resources, or related field.
- Two or more years experience providing clerical and/or administrative support.
- Five years of experience working with at risk population or related field.
- Computer and word processing skills required.
- Master's Degree in a social science or criminal justice.
- Two or more years of experience of supervisory work in a juvenile detention setting.
- Five years of experience working in a juvenile detention center.
- CPR, First Aid, and AED certified.
Work is performed in an office and secure facility environment with periodic transport duties to offsite medical facilities or providers.
Work involves walking, standing, bending, lifting, carrying and sitting and physically to be able to safely secure detainees through the executing the physical restraint techniques and training applicable to the Managing Crisis Safely Manual/Training. Demands increase when providing assistance within secure access and/or kitchen areas.
- Possess and maintain a valid Driver's License
- Complete Background Check (repeated periodically during employment) including, but not limited to:
- Social Security Record Inquiry
- Criminal History Inquiry
- Sex Offender Database Inquiry
- Motor Vehicle Report/Driver's License/Driving Record Inquiry
- Past Employment Verification
- Education Verification
- DHR - Child Abuse and Neglect Records Inquiry
- Pre-employment physical examination with County designated physician
- Pre-employment drug test at County designated test location
- E-Verify Eligibility to Work in United States
- Six Month Probationary Period
- Shift work, including weekends, holidays and nights
- Shift Schedules:
- 7am - 3pm
- 3pm -11pm
- 11pm - 7am
- Floater works between two shifts as assigned
- Shift Schedules:
- Work beyond normal work shift or schedule
- Random drug tests after hire at County designated test location